Face Mask

Face Mask

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

I Didn't Realise the Impact My Sneakers Were Having on My Run Until I Road-Tested This Pair

A little over a month ago, I agreed to start run training with Nike's Head Run Coach, Lydia O'Donnell, in the hopes of improving my 5km run speed and putting Nike's new Air Zoom Pegasus 37s sneakers to the test.

Before I started, Lydia explained that when you're looking to improve your speed, you need to train and treat your body differently. It's important to create a sustainable running program to help create healthy running habits that gradually increase your speed over time. If you start banging out 5kms every day at top speed you're only going to wear out your body and risk injury, especially if your sneakers aren't up to the task.

Along with the right kind of training, you need the right kind of support. Running sneakers must have a certain degree of cushioning, this way it takes some of the pounding impacts off the body. According to experts, we experience a vertical force of 3-4 times our body weight during a run, meaning the more cushioning that's there, the less chance there is of sustaining an injury. The Pegasus 37s feature new forefoot Zoom Air bag technology meaning that they offer more rebound and energy when your foot connects with the ground during a run.

I first noticed the difference airbag tech makes when I was doing a hill sprint session from my program. The Air Zoom Pegasus 37 was super responsive even though it felt lightweight. The Nike React foam around the midsole makes the shoe feel soft and springy so when I was running on my toes it almost propelled me forward. Usually, after each run, I'd notice some twinges and tenderness in my feet, but I haven't experienced that while training in the Pegasus 37s.

I also noticed my leg muscles were far less sore when I'd train in my 37s compared to my previous sneakers. I could tell that the additional cushioning was absorbing the impact from my runs, especially when I switched terrain from asphalt to dirt.

My run program consisted of a variety of runs from the Nike Run Club app including fartlek runs (a single run where your shift between a fast and slow-paced without stopping), hill sessions (yep, dreaded hill sprints) and longer, slower recovery runs. As well as bodyweight training, strength and yoga sessions that each complemented my runs by strengthening the right muscle groups and aiding in my recovery. Each workout was under an hour and we're easy to fit into my Winter workout schedule, especially in isolation.

Between the personalised running program and the Pegasus 37s, I ended up smashing my 5km PB at the end of the four weeks. I've also grown to love running even more and now understand why runners cycle through sneakers so often. If you're going to pound the pavement you need a shoe that's going to show up as ready to train as you are. If you're a runner, I highly recommend investing in the Air Zoom Pegasus 37s, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much they change your stride for the better.

Scroll to shop Nike's Air Zoom Pegasus 37s.



from POPSUGAR Health & Fitness https://ift.tt/30smbWe
via babu31

No comments:

Post a Comment