Face Mask

Face Mask

Monday, July 27, 2020

How a Smart Watch Helped Keep Me Motivated and Accountable While Working Out at Home

Finding the motivation to exercise at home can often be a struggle, especially during the Winter months. It's cold outside, mid-year fatigue is kicking in and that bottle of red looks way more appealing . . . lifting a glass or two to my mouth counts as weights, right?!

I've never owned a smartwatch before, however, my friends in fitness circles rave about how they help to keep them accountable and reach their fitness goals. So I decided to give Huawei's GT 2e Smart Watch a try and see if it lived up to the hype.

Huawei's smartwatch tracks just about everything from your training intensity, aerobic and anaerobic capability right through to your sleep cycle and recovery time. There are 85 different workout modes to chose from and quick start functions for exercise like walking or running.

It also does all the things you'd expect from a smartwatch, receives calls and texts, plays music, shows you the weather forecast, sets alarms and timers . . . you name it, it does it. While these are all great functions and are compatible with iPhones and androids as well as Huawei's smartphones, I was mainly interested in the fitness aspect.

Short verdict: I'm obsessed!

Long verdict: I trailed the watch for four weeks, during this time I mainly used it to monitor my sleep, track my workouts and meditate. Let's unpack each function.

Sleep:

I found the sleep tracking function really interesting. It allowed me to see what stage of sleep I spent the most hours in (deep or light) and I kept some notes in my phone when I noticed patterns or nights where I had better sleep in order to pinpoint why that may be the case. Over the four weeks, I figured out that I slept best when I worked out in the mornings and shut off from technology earlier. I still slept well when I worked out in the evenings but it took my body longer to slow down and for my brain to switch off.

Tracking Your Training:

This was my favourite feature by far, and I found it motivating to be able to see my progress, reassess where I was at and increase my fitness goals as I was burning through them. After each run, I could check the Huawei Health app (iOS - Android) and see exactly how I was moving through each section of my run. It tracked my pace (km/hr), cadence (steps/min), my workout phases (warm-up, fat-burning, aerobic, anaerobic and extreme), my heart rate and the suggested recovery time for a workout of that intensity. Over the four weeks, I improved my 10km run pace by a full six minutes and I honestly put it down to wearing the smartwatch, because I could physically see my efforts and review them after each session, which allowed me to adjust my run accordingly and achieve my goals.

Meditation:

When I first read about this function I didn't think I'd use it much. I have always struggled to meditate and silence the head noise without physically moving my body at the same time. However, the app talks you through some light breathing exercises that actually makes meditation achievable. They're quick, easy and literally on your wrist, so whenever I started to feel overwhelmed I'd just take a few minutes to use the watches meditation function.

Overall:

While smartwatches might add too much pressure for some people, for me, it was a fantastic way to stay motivated while trying to achieve my workout goals. It helps keep me accountable and the endorphin rush I got from tracking my results and seeing improvements made it worth it. The Huawei's GT 2e Smart Watch comes with an affordable price tag of $349 and if like me, you're looking for an extra burst of motivation, this could be it.

Scroll to shop Huawei's GT 2e Smart Watch.



from POPSUGAR Health & Fitness https://ift.tt/2EnNsAr
via babu31

No comments:

Post a Comment